Monday, March 10, 2008

End of an era, Part 3

Time to close yet another chapter in this first part of 2008.

Over the past 10 weeks I have had the privilege of coaching two great teams for Upwards basketball at my church, Spring Creek. The Lady Hawks and the Boilermakers were made up of some great young boys and girls that have created some great memories for me.

Juggling WLC basketball and two Upwards teams was a challenge for me, mainly from a scheduling aspect, but the time and effort were more than worth it. While these kids and their parents thought they gained the most out of it, I believe that I did as a person and as a Christian.

Through working with these great kids, I realized the importance of letting kids be kids, something that has really gotten away from me as a father over the past few months.

I loved watching some of my younger players step from being uncertain in their abilities at the beginning of the season to being confident and string in what they were doing at the end of the season.

While Upwards is geared towards not worrying about wins and losses, it was always great seeing the reactions of the players when the final horn would sound and we would be on the winning end. For my boys, the Boilermakers, that came a lot in the beginning, but not so much at the end (expect for the 2nd to last game with a big 39-18 win)

My girls, the Lady Hawks rolled off five straight wins at the end of the season, including a huge season finale against a team that was stacked with talent.

While it was tough walking away from the WLC basketball season, seeing the end of Upwards basketball season really pulls at my heart. This will be the final time I will see many of these boys and girls, even if they return next season. I have grown to love each of these kids, for all their different talents and abilities.

It truly is a humbling experience as a coach watching your players go out on the floor and succeed in the things you have taught then through out the short season! Even the simplest little things would bring a smile to my face.

Too all my kids (and the parents) THANK YOU for a wonderful season. I am truly sad that it is over. It has been a pleasure to be a part of your children’s lives over the past 10 weeks!

Now it’s time for the beginning of a new era….no more ends!

No comments: