Monday, March 3, 2008

End of an era Pt 2

Friday and Saturday came and went...with the best possible outcome.

The Wisconsin Lutheran College Warrior women over came injury and adversity through out the season and gelled together to win the NAC Conference tournament championship on Saturday night in front of the home crowd.

It was a great night for me, as the broadcaster, having watched this team all season long. Though I am not on the court with them, I became overwhelmed with emotion as the final seconds ticked off the clock and I was able to announce "the Warriors are the Northern Athletics Conference Tournament champions"

Don't get me wrong...this is nothing about ME...it's about these talented young women that work for months, while still being students, to play a game they love. I was proud to see women that I have grown to respect walk away with a well earned accolade.

More so for our two graduating seniors, Breanne Duebner and Emily Laete...who get to do what most athletes don't. go out as winners. No matter the outcome of Saturday's game, Bre and Emily would have walked off winners regardless. There tireless work ethic, leadership and love for what they do not only propelled the Warriors to the championship, but has left a legacy for the players that will be here next season.

To Emily and Bre, I love you both, have enjoyed watching you play and will miss you immensely next season.
*****************************************************************
More random thoughts....
*Is it spring yet??? It is not March and I still fee there is no end in sight. I love the 4 seasons (five if you include construction season), but this winter has taken a toll on me.

*I am irritated with Milwaukee sports media...the areas most successful sports team, The Milwaukee Wave indoor soccer team, gets absolutely no respect in Milwaukee. During one news cast on Sunday night (station withheld to protect the not-so-innocent) they talked about the Bucks (twice), Brewers for 3 minutes (which I am OK with), NASCAR, more NBA and of course Brett favre's Tractor Watch...but no mention of the Wave's 17-4 win at home.
Coming off a couple of days where the legend of Milwaukee soccer, Michael King's retirement announcement made headlines, the Wave has fallen into the abyss once again.
WHY I ASK???

No comments: