Monday, November 16, 2009

What kind of sales person are you?

Sales…a difficult job no matter what the economy is like.

There are many experts out there that offer sound advice on the best practices for cold calling, setting up meetings, getting the YES in the meeting, etc.
I am not about to offer this type of advice or insight.

I have had the chance to learn first hand some of the tactics, practices and procedures that do and do not work when trying to get a sale. The other thing I have learned over the past few years is how some decision makers think.

Put yourself into the shoes of the person you are trying to sell to. How many sales calls do they get on a daily basis? How many different pitches do they get from sales people that think they are better than others. How many times do you think this decision maker hears “ This is the product/service that will help you company like no other” or something like that.

One thing I learned early on in my sales career, most decision makers don’t really care what you have to say. They are meeting with your as a courtesy, to stop the overabundance of phone calls from you. Forget about trying to WOW them with the widget, gadget or service you are trying to sell.

The best thing you can do is show them that you care. I don’t mean putting on a façade to make it seem like you are concerned. You need to be genuinely concerned about what they sell, what they offer, what the company does. Many times they get taken aback when you kick things off by asking “What is it that you want your company to accomplish in the nest 12 months”

Sales in general needs to go back to wanting to help others, not sell them on things that may not be in the best interest of their company. In essence, I have lost many sales in my career because I have not been cut throat, ruthless or down right immoral. What I have gained in immeasurable in spreadsheets, sales revenue and commissions. I go home everyday knowing that I did the right thing, feeling like I represented myself and my company well and most importantly created a business relationship that can hopefully flourish in the future.

There will be plenty of times when I do not get the sale, but many of those people that may say NO to what I am offering will remember me as someone ethical, not the a-typical sales person.

How are you representing yourself when you meet for “the sale”? Are you pushing hard to get the YES or are you taking the time to listen and care?
What kind of

No comments: