Friday, January 23, 2009

Using Social Media for Business

Just like the internet changed how we do things in the past decade, social media websites are the wave of now and the future.

It started heavy with MySpace…but has now exploded with Facebook, Twitter and Seesmic. Not only can you connect with friends and family, share pictures and video, but know businesses and groups can do target advertising to the masses on Facebook.

Sometimes I consider myself to be one step behind when it comes to the latest and greatest things (I just bought my first Blackberry this past week), but I am doing everything I can now to be near the forefront of the latest in social media.

It’s not about being cool and hip (which I already am…lol) but it’s about being ahead of the game when it comes to marketing things I do. I work in a medium that is constantly trying to re-invent itself when it comes to marketing, so anything new and exciting peaks my interest. Think about it…10 years ago who would have thought that Online news sites would overtake print media…or that Ipods would be running rampant?

I encourage all of you, no matter what business you are in, how old you are, or what you are involved in…don’t miss the bus when it comes to social media, as far as promoting something you are doing. Event, business, a blog, website…it doesn’t matter…Social media is the way to go.

I will have a video blog available on this over the weekend

No comments: