Monday, November 1, 2010

Season of change...the Journey of Life.

Inspiration for writing comes from many different places...personal experiences, reading something, seeing something on TV.

My first blog post in a few months is inspired by a few things. This morning I received an email about the 20th anniversary of a website that I frequent. Recently I have been reflective on life, experiences, successes, failures. Reconnecting with an old friend from two decades ago, someone that was very influential during a difficult time in my life. All of these things have inspired me.

This year I turned 40, sort of a turning point in my life. I have been doing a lot of reflecting, thinking about the past...the good, the bad, the mistakes I have made, the great decisions. Looking back...twenty years ago, the midway mark of my life to this point...was the ending of one part and the beginning of another.

Twenty years ago, I was at the lowest point of my life, not sure what I was going to do or where I was going to go. Thanks to a high school friend coming to my aid and the support of two dear friends, I was able to refocus and begin to to get my life back on track. A new chapter began.

Leading up to that "new chapter" were days, weeks and months of heartbreak, uncertainty and regrets. I will openly admit to the entire world...there have been things I have done in my life I am not very proud of. I have lied, hurt people, betrayed people I have called my friends. I wish I could apologize to everyone that I have wronged.

If not for two people, I would not have made it back to where I could "re-start" my life. My best friend and blood brother Rob was there for me through the good and bad, went down the highway of life and hit every bump in the road with me. If not for an argument over something that best friends should not argue over, Rob and I would be as close as we were in our youth. I regret the road I took Rob down in our reckless youth...the troubles I led him through.

The other person is someone I will never forget, can never thank enough for all that she did for me. Kim and I met under less than normal circumstances, teenagers from completely different backgrounds with nothing in common. A chance early morning meeting led to a unique friendship...one that opened my eyes, mind and heart to a whole new world. Kim was there at the darkest night of my life, pulling me in from the edge. She was the voice that brought me home from halfway across the country at a time when I was ready to leave it all, run from what I needed to face. For 20 years, a true angel in my life was lost because of my own ignorance and stupidity, but thankfully we have re-connected. But lost is the friendship that was so special to me.

Why do I share this with all of you know? I have been criticized over the past year for the candidness I display and how open I am with things that go on in my life. Though I have made many mistakes in my life, regret some of the things I have done...I am not ashamed to admit who I am, the struggles I am going through.

I am know for being an active member of the Twitter community, as the loud and sometimes obnoxious MPTV Auction guy, the voice of numerous sports and radio broadcasts, among other things. But how many people know the "Real" Jon Kurozawa?

Outside of my beautiful wife of 14 years (whom I met at the beginning of the "new chapter" I mentioned earlier...only a few know some of the revealing stories of my life.

It's time for the world to get to know who I really am...where I came from, who I am, what I am all about. You see memoirs written by famous people later in life...I will share the past, present and future with each of you...one story at a time.

The next chapter in the life story of Jon continues and I would like all of you to join me...for all the ups and downs, smiles and tears, joy and pain. In the process, share with me your stories of triumph and tragedy...let us lift each other up and encourage as we all go on this journey of life.

No comments: