Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Give This New Year Away #5-Serve in your church

"Wait a second Jon, you want us to do more than just sit in a pew for an hour each Sunday??"

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. Churches do not just run themselves. The pastors and their support staff cannot do everything themselves.

"I am not biblically sound enough to teach or preach"

Guess what...either am I. But I use my God given gifts to help out. My wife and I, along with our small group, were encouraged three years ago to serve in our church's Children's ministry, helping out one Sunday per month, giving some of the regualr helpers much needed off. This was uncomfortable for some, but 3 years later, most are still helping. It grew so much that a number of our small groups are volunteering.

No matter the size of your church, there are opportunities to help. Good at fixing things? I bet they could use you? Excellent typing skills? The office could use help. Love children? Read bible stories to the Sunday School. Love to greet people? Become a greeter or usher.

One or two hours a month...not a lot of time, but imagine the impact if even a dozen people joined you. Don;t be afraid to step up and help out. You don't have to feel obligated to volunteer for everything that is asked of you...pick and choose what is right for you. But most importantly, start serving.

It is another one of those simple ways of Honoring God, but serving in His house!

Posted via web from jonkurozawa's posterous

No comments: