Friday, January 1, 2010

2009...glad that it's over, but blessed none the less

For any of you that have followed the ups and down, peaks and valleys or good and bad of 2009...you know that it was a difficult year for the Kurozawa family. From job loss to financial problems, van repairs and health issues...we ran what seemed like a gambit of issues.

Looking back at everything, it was frustrating, stressful, almost forgettable year. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Conversely, we were blessed with many good things too. Overall my kids were healthy, we were able to take a family trip to Disney World over Easter (though when I returned to work the following week I was laid off :), despite financial troubles we never went hungry, without shelter, heat or the other basic necessities of life. i do have a new job with a company I love, have made lots of new people through social media and have broadened my skill set.

All in all our year was one of the toughest we have had as a family and it has not ended on the brightest of note, but I know that God has blessed us and continues to everyday. Some days it is hard to remember that when our bank account floats towards $0, when we wonder how we will pay the next bill, or have to tell our kids "no we can't do that because we don't have enough money". I remember it when we are able to do things that many people don't get a chance to do.

My wife Holly's opportunity to sing in a choir with Michael W. Smith, My son Noah and my first Packers game (thanks to my new boss), getting to take my kids to a variety of different concerts, events and shows through good fortune or the kindness and generosity of others.

One of the greatest joys I have gotten this year is seeing the joy in my childrens' eyes when they are rewarded with something simple or when they have learned how important it is to help others in need (more need than we are in).

You cannot place a monetary value on those special moments when your kids talk about wanting to help others, how they want to sacrifice to help someone else.

Based on those moments, and from the inspriration of new friend Matthew West, my next blog post will discuss my vision for 2010. No matter what happens with my job, my money or anything related to that...I will be Giving This New Year Away.

With the grace of God, 2010 will be the best year ever for our family and I hope it is for you too!

No comments: